Yes, I did C and C++ first.
And much assembler before that. I have a hard time understanding how so many people grok computing without knowing machine code. Too magic black box for me. I get it because I get the semiconductor physics, from which I get the gates and flip flops, from which I get the counters, shift registers, and muxes, from which I get the ALUs and CLUs, from which I get the processor, from which springeth computing. I must know how it works! Ask me about threaded interpreters.
I'm an applications analyst for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Department of Marine Sciences.
I facilitate TriPython meetings, organize Python sprints, as well as develop and teach PyCamp for TriPython.
My interests are marine embedded systems and coastal telemetry, data visualization, geographic information systems, autonomous underwater vehicles, offshore wind energy, and online collaboration software.
I love TriPython and the larger Python open source community. TriPython and the Plone communities have been immensely supportive.
I have some thoughts on what constitutes content management.
Here are presentations I've given to TriPython which have slides:
- My ongoing, frequently updated presentation What You Need to Know About Python presented at PyOhio 2014/2013, Plone Symposium Midwest 2014/2013, Plone Symposium East 2012/2011/2010/2009, and Plone Conference 2009/2008, UCLA, University of Toronto, University of Washington, and University of Houston:
- Presentation to Analytics Forward Unconference: Numpy Basics Online • Notebook
- Cython PDF • Source
- Presentation to Python Piedmont Triad Users Group: Python 3.3 Virtual Environments PDF
- PyOhio 2012 Presentation: Python Testing Fundamentals PDF • Code Samples ZIP • TGZ
- PyCarolinas 2012 Presentation: Python Debugging Fundamentals PDF • Code Samples ZIP • TGZ
- Unittest Discovery PDF
- Recent Developments with ZopeSkel (Plone Conference 2009 talk) PDF • Video
- Python Decorators Online • PDF • ODP
- Python List Comprehensions Online • PDF • ODP
- Distutils Online • PDF • ODP
- Python Eggs Online • PDF • ODP
- KSS Part One Online • MOV • SWF • PDF • PPT • ODP
- IRC Basics for TriPython Online only
- Cheetah Templates Online • MOV • SWF • PDF • PPT • ODP
I've also given presentations at TriPython meetings on pdb, numpy, matplotlib, pyDap, and Plone Content Actions (live demo, no slides), parsing scientific data with Python (live demo, no slides), Plone 3 (Limi's conference slides), TextIndexNG3 (live demo, no slides), ZODB (Chris McDonough's slides), Clouseau (live demo, no slides), Social Patterns in Content Management (no slides), and Plone Desktop (live demo, no slides).